Monday, June 8, 2009

Christian Bale – Physical danger

http://handson.provocateuse.com/images/photos/christian_bale_11.jpg

Christian magazines always belittle the physical dangers of actors in movies. However, this interview gives us a look at how dangerous movies can be. More than that, this excerpt will show us that even actors and actresses need the grace of God to be safe.

So...outside of your roles, do you have a history of putting yourself in situations where you have to test yourself physically or even court danger?
Definitely. Though the one that stands out to me wasn’t physically demanding or dangerous. One of the places where we lived when I was growing up had this big wood out the back. And starting when I was about 8, I used to enjoy just walking alone through the wood late. Eleven p.m. Midnight. Later. Deep into the woods. It was terrifying. And I wasn’t allowed to look behind me, no matter what noises I heard. That was the point. That thing. The fear. To go into some deep place, a well of fear, that you’ve never been to before and that you didn’t know the way out of. Not looking behind, not turning around, just going deeper and deeper into those woods. I always enjoyed that.

That’s the word? Enjoy?
I learned something about myself, didn’t I?

What?
That I don’t want to be comforted. That I want to be able to face the hell I’m in.

On its face, that’s patently unbelievable. I mean, come on: an 8-year-old? And yet that impulse was fully realized in your performance in Empire of the Sun, which was when you were...?
Thirteen.

Source: Google.com

No comments:

Post a Comment