Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Inspiration I get from Reading Christian Magazines

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/images65/Playa-Reflections.jpg

I have been an ardent reader since the 3rd grade and this I have to say, is one of the greatest habits I have ever tried in my life. Reading has helped me veer away from vices and other worldly activities that could potentially destroy my promise to fulfill my covenant with God. There was a time in my life when I could consume a box of cigarettes a day, which did not only endangered my health but also my chance to lead a more righteous path in life. To ward off the thought and finally quit smoking, I surrounded myself with inspirational materials to read like Christian magazines and of course the Bible. Reading these materials not only helped me get myself preoccupied but also thought me important lessons or two about life.

http://www.risenmagazine.com/files/imagecache/this_issue/Risen%20Summer%202009.jpg?

Here are some of the things I gained from reading Christian magazines.

  1. Take good care of your health. – Christian magazine do not only focus on spirituality. More than citing inspirational Bible verses, these materials also emphasize the importance of health in fulfilling our covenant to Heavenly Father. By reading such magazines, I was reoriented on how relevant my overall well-being was to take on the role of a true Christian. My body is a temple, which God gave to me to care off, not to tarnish. This is one of the strongest motivations to quit smoking.
  2. Accept yourself for who you are. – Our worldly society often dictates a twisted view of physical beauty. Because of the pressures of media and the people around us, we are forced to fit into a certain kind of mind frame that puts so much focus on appearances. This frame of mind forces a lot of people to alter their bodies that God has given them. They undergo cosmetic surgeries or worst, starve themselves to death just to look thin and fabulous. In the end, they still do not find peace and contentment. Why? Because no matter how many surgeries they go through, if they cannot find the heart to fully accept themselves for who they are, accept God as their creator and savior, and love God and themselves, they would never find the peace of mind they are looking for.
  3. Strengthen your faith in God – A Christian magazine’s prime purpose is to inspire people to hold on to their faith in God. Through stories of real people and testimonies of other Christians, readers are more encouraged to remain strong in standing up for their belief.

If you ever feel like your faith is dwindling or when temptations get the best of you, do not resort to holing up in your room or giving in to the calls of temptations. Instead, surround yourself with positivism. Christian magazines, devotionals, and of course the Bible are a great sources of inspiration that could give you that needed spiritual boost you need to keep on walking the path of righteousness.

No comments:

Post a Comment