Monday, January 26, 2009

On prayer life

I am a musician and I must admit that I loved the new will i am video “Yes we can.” However, I must also admit that if there is one thing that I struggle with mightily, it is in my prayer life. Prayer is the water that nourishes our spiritual life. It is what connects us to our God. To highlight the importance of prayer, St. Paul even said that “you must pray without ceasing” i read in a christian magazine.

I am not particularly gifted in public prayer and am very envious of those people who can pray for hours on end. A friend once tried to console me and said that even Jesus’ disciples fell asleep when Jesus prayed on the garden of Gethsemane. He also said that we should follow Jesus’ example on how to pray via the Lord ’s Prayer in Matthew 6:9-13:

"This, then, is how you should pray: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us today our daily bread. Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.”



However, my friend also noted that humility and a contrite heart is the most important aspect of prayer that is mostly forgotten. He cited this verse from Luke 18:13:

"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'”

No comments:

Post a Comment